Thursday, August 12, 2010

What's Cooking - Taco Salad



A couple of years ago a co-worker made this Taco Salad for a potluck and it was one of the best Taco Salads I had ever tasted.  The recipe is really simlple and it only takes about 15-20 minutes to prepare.  Usually when making salads most people generally use iceburg lettuce, which has NO taste or nutritional value. I like using spring greens which are prettier (lol) and have a lot more nutrients. The general idea is that the darker the leaf, the more nutritious it is for you (so I've been told).  The recipe doesn't call for guacamole but for some strange reason I had a taste for it.  So I ran to Mariscos which is a bomb Mexican Seafood Restaurant by my house to pick some up (and boy am I glad I did :)))  If your looking for a quick, inexpensive meal, this Taco Salad is definitely worth trying out.  Trust me...you won't be dissappointed.      



Ingredients

1 lb. lean ground turkey or ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 bag of Spring Greens
1 can rinsed kidney beans
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
Bush of Cilantro
1 green onion, chopped
1 can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups reduced fat cheddar
Guacamole (Optional)
Thousand Island Dressing (Optional)
Tortilla or Corn Chips

Directions

Prepare ground turkey/ground beef with seasoning.  In a large bowl, layer lettuce, beans, tomatoes, green onions, black olives, meat, cheese, and guacamole.  Add dressing to taste.  This salad is also great with Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips.  Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for visiting, following and leaving a comment!