Thursday, March 18, 2010

Granola Bars from scratch




Granola Bars - Adapted from King Arthur's Flour

I ran across this recipe on a fellow bloggers page (MopTop Maven) and when I saw the recipe was "fool proof" I knew this was the perfect project for me (lol) ~ I took a trip back to the Farmers Market and purchased Orange Honey, and Dried Fruit and Nuts ~ I had never heard of Oat Flour before and couldn't find it anywhere at Ralphs or Albertsons so I ended up going to Trader Joes and of course...they had it ~ I followed the below recipe step by step and WA-LA....the end result turned out pretty good if I must say so myself ~ This was my first attempt at making anything from scratch and it has definately encouraged me to continue getting my Betty Crocker on! (lol) Stay tuned!!!



** This recipe calls for "Sticky Bun Sugar" which I did not use. You can use Sugar (which I did) instead of the Sticky Bun Sugar**

1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats
1 cup + 2 tablespoons Sticky Bun Sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar, optional <--- I used this instead of Sticky Bun Sugar 1/3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup quick oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 to 3 cups dried fruits and nuts 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup melted butter 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or corn syrup <----I used Orange Honey
2 Tablespoons of Light Corn Syrup
1 Tablespoon of water
OPTIONAL: I also added some coconut snowflakes, but this is optional ~ You can add any ingredients you like as long as you stick to the proper proportions.





Preheat oven to 350, and line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, lightly grease parchment paper, and the portion of the pan that is exposed. [Note: If you want thicker bars, use a smaller pan]



Mix all of your dry ingredients together, set aside.

Mix all of your wet ingredients, and add them to the dry ingredients.

Mix until evenly crumbly, then pour into baking pan.

Use a piece of Saran Wrap to gently press down your mixture, as it should be even.



Place Granola in oven for about 30-40 minutes ~ Set out to cool on a baking rack for about 30 minutes, then cut into squares with a sharp serrated knife.

Wrap bars individually to store; or place in a single layer on a plate, and cover with plastic; or store in layers with parchment in between ~ In humid weather, it's best to store bars in the refrigerator.




No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for visiting, following and leaving a comment!